The Jarman Award
The Jarman Award is an annual prize inspired by one of Britain's most innovative, esteemed and controversial artists of the late 20th century, Derek Jarman.
Celebrating the spirit of experimentation, imagination and inspiration in the work of UK artist film-makers, The Jarman Award recognises individual artist film-makers whose risk-taking work resists boundaries and conventional definition - work that encompasses innovation, excellence and vision.
The purpose of the award is open-ended — an investment in the career of an individual enabling a period of experimentation without pressure. The award shines a light on artist film-makers who are to our times what Jarman was to his.
Any mid-career artist film-maker whose work embraces the spirit and the legacy of Jarman's highly experimental and risk-taking approach can be put forward for this annual prize.
The winner of the annual Award not only receives a £10,000 cash prize, they also win a broadcast commission — to produce a series of film artworks for Channel 4.
This is the only award of its kind where an artist is rewarded with both financial assistance to enable them to flourish and the phenomenal opportunity to broadcast their work on national television.
2014 Shortlist announced
On 8 July we were proud to join forces with Channel 4 in association with Whitechapel Gallery to annouce the ten-strong shortlist of UK-based contemporary artists for this year's award:
- John Akomfrah
- Laura Buckley
- Sebastian Buerkner
- Marvin Gaye Chetwynd
- Steven Claydon
- Redmond Entwistle
- Iain Forsyth and Jane Pollard
- Ursula Mayer
- Rachel Reupke
- Stephen Sutcliffe
The winner will be announced at a ceremony on 8 December, hosted at Whitechapel Gallery. Before that, work by all shortlisted artists will be showing across the UK as part of the Jarman Award touring programme.
See work by the artists across the UK
We've teamed up with venues across the country to ensure that more of you than ever before can get involved in the Jarman Award.
A programme of work by the shortlisted artists will be touring the UK from September-December, in the lead up to the announcement of the winner. Confirmed events are:
- FACT, Liverpool – Tuesday 23 September
- Watershed, Bristol – Tuesday 30 September
- Towner, Eastbourne – 11 October-2 November
- Chapter, Cardiff – October (date TBC)
- CCA, Glasgow – Thursday 16 October
- The Northern Charter, Newcastle – 27 November
- Whitechapel Gallery – Sat 6 & Sun 7 December
And other venues, with dates still to be confirmed:
With more to be announced soon. Get to an event near you and then tell us who your winner is on Twitter using #MyJarmanWinner
- That's all from our #ExhibsBrek @arthouseN8 ! Thanks to everyone who came down, we'd love to hear your thoughts on the event.
- RT @SaveDavidLean : Learning lots at @Film_London #exhibsbrek #filmhubldn
- RT @day4night_films : Great discussion on disability, accessibility & cinema @Film_London #exhibsbrek @arthouseN8 partic about our favourite…
We're excited to announce that Film London has teamed up with new VOD platform We Are Colony and Edge Hill University to deliver a £125,000 year-long project exploring new distribution strategies for independent film.