Film London and Channel 4 in association with the Whitechapel Gallery, awarded the 2013 Jarman Award to John Smith at a special event on Monday 6 November 2013.
Smith was selected from a shortlist of ten artists which also included: Ed Atkins, Beatrice Gibson, Emma Hart, Rachel Maclean, Uriel Orlow, Charlotte Prodger, Hannah Sawtell, Grace Schwindt and Jessica Warboys.
The jury panel said:
"The breadth and scope of the artists in the shortlist was fascinating to consider and made for a rich and exciting discussion. In choosing the winner and the additional Random Acts commissions we returned to the essence and spirit of Jarman himself, as a British film-maker with a love for experimentation, pageantry, and his borderless approach to disciplines - he was transgressive.”
Jarman Award 2013 jury
- Stuart Comer, Chief Curator, Dept of Media and Performance Art, The Museum of Modern Art (MoMA), New York (Chair)
- Iwona Blazwick OBE, Director, Whitechapel Gallery
- Tabitha Jackson, Commissioning Editor for Arts, Channel 4
- Carol Morley, filmmaker
- Omar Kholeif, curator, writer and editor
- Jon Thomson & Alison Craighead, artists shortlisted for the Jarman Award in 2012
- Francesca Gavin, Visual Arts Editor, Dazed & Confused