The winner of the 12th Film London Jarman Award was Hetain Patel.
The announcement was made on 25 November 2019 at a celebratory event at the Barbican Centre, London. The winner received prize money of £10,000.
Jarman Award 2019 shortlisted artists
This year’s shortlist of artists astonishes in its breadth of moving image practice. From cinéma vérité to highly-scripted drama, audiences will have an opportunity to experience work by all six artists when it goes on national tour in September.
Melanie Keen, Director of Iniva, on behalf of the 2019 Jarman Award jury
From cutting-edge digital animation to analogue 16mm film, the work of the shortlisted artists provides a barometer of the strength and diversity of artists working with moving image today. Flickering montages of news footage, real life action, surreal TV soap operas, intense musical scoring and collaborative work with children demonstrate the spectrum of innovation within the medium. Audiences are drawn into imagined realms and are gripped by compelling narratives, whilst continually being confronted with the urgent political climate of today.
Jarman Award 2019 jury
- Larry Achiampong & David Blandy, Artists, Shortlisted for the Award in 2018
- Iwona Blazwick OBE, Director, Whitechapel Gallery
- Melanie Keen, Director, Iniva
- Tyrone Walker-Hebborn, Director, Genesis Cinema
- Andrea Lissoni, Senior Curator, International Art (Film), Tate Modern and Film London Board Member