On 1 April 2008, artist film-maker Luke Fowler was announced as the winner of the inaugural Jarman Award presented at the Serpentine Gallery.
Fowler was selected from a shortlist of four artists which also included: Duncan Campbell, Andrew Kötting and Emily Wardill.
This exceptional young talent fuses the most unusual subjects and images to stunning effect.
Jarman Award 2008 jury panel on Luke Fowler
Jarman Award 2008 jury
- James Christopher, Film Critic, The Times
- Stuart Comer, Film Curator, Tate Modern
- Isaac Julien CBE, artist filmmaker
- Julia Peyton-Jones and Hans Ulrich Obrist, Serpentine Gallery
- Nic Roeg, Filmmaker
- Lisbeth Savill, Partner, Head of Film Team, Olswang and Film London Board Member
- Ali Smith, Author
- Jan Younghusband, Commissioning Editor, Arts and Performance, Channel 4
To launch the inaugural year of the Jarman Award Film London and More4 also invested in Derek, a major new feature length biopic directed by Isaac Julien.
As the winning artist, Fowler received £20,000, co-sponsored by Film London and More4, in partnership with the Serpentine Gallery as well as a commission of four short films from 3 Minute Wonder, Channel 4's documentary shorts strand. Entitled The Tenement Films, they are a series of portraits of four diverse individuals brought together through a shared residence - a flat in a Victorian tenement in the West End of Glasgow.