Return to Work
Film London’s Return to Work scheme offers training and paid placements for parents returning to work in the TV industry
Funded and supported by HETV Fund at Creative Skillset, this new scheme tackles the barriers that exist for highly skilled professionals wanting to return to work after a parental career break.
We are aiming to help parents back into the TV industry with 'returnships', which will incorporate retraining workshops, mentoring, and a paid work placement.
Five selected candidates will have the opportunity to undertake a one-month paid returnship at companies including Carnival, Tiger Aspect, Cuba Pictures, Twickenham Studios, Objective Media Group and Molinare.
The returnees will be contracted to Film London as freelancers and work on the premises of the selected company.
We are looking for parents who have had a career break due to childcare responsibilities but who are now ready to return to work. We welcome applications from those currently under-represented in the industry, including women, black, Asian and minority ethnic, and disabled people.
The scheme will take place from April to June 2017. Placement timings will be agreed on an individual basis depending on availability of candidates and companies throughout this period.
Each selected candidate will
- Be sub-contracted to Film London and paid £200 per day as a freelancer to undertake their four-week work placement
- Receive a contribution towards childcare costs throughout the returnship
- Receive support for travel costs for the returnships and training
- Participate in a training day and exit session
- Become part of the Film London network with ongoing support
In addition, we can offer candidates living outside of Greater London area a contribution towards accommodation costs for attending the training and throughout the placement.
Essential experience and personal qualities
- Minimum of five years experience in the TV and/or film industry prior to an extensive career break
- Excellent understanding and knowledge of TV
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrable ability to prioritise workload, manage time and work to deadlines
- Team player
Returnships would suit people who have experience in one of these areas:
- Business Affairs
- Data Ops
- Development Executive
- Development Coordinator
- Dialogue tracking
- Post coordinator
- Post supervisor
- Production coordinator
- Production coordinator with experience of crewing up
- Production Manager
- Production Secretary
- Script editing
In addition to the returnships, candidates are required to attend a training day which covers CV writing, the digital landscape, creative tax incentives for High-End TV, and green initiatives. Following the end of the returnships, candidates will be offered a follow up session with Film London to discuss further work opportunities.
Please send your CV, two referees who can be contacted, and a cover letter of no more than two pages stating why you are the ideal candidate to participate, how long your career break has been, how your particular skills, experience and interests fit this scheme, and what returnship you are interested in undertaking.
Please also fill out and include our equal opportunities form.
To submit your application, email email@example.com.
Closing date for applications: 5pm, Thursday 6 April 2017
It is the policy of Film London to promote and integrate equality of opportunity into all aspects of its business, including its appointment of staff and funding schemes. We wish to ensure that Film London reflects the diversity of the communities in which it works. We welcome applications from groups currently under-represented in the screen industries including women, black, Asian and minority ethnic, and disabled people.
- Premiering 10pm tonight on @SkyCinemaUK : twisted crime romance Love/Me/Do from #LDNcalling alumni @MartinWHStitt … https://t.co/jjNgZkNj8N
- Head to @CurzonGsmiths tomorrow for Blood Ah Go Run and Jus Soli - two films that document 1981's New Cross Massacr… https://t.co/AWqm4M78kw
- RT @OnestoWatch_TV : It's your FINAL WEEK to apply for FREE TV mentoring, masterclasses & career development + a pass to @EdinburghTVFest ht…
Returning to BFI Southbank in May 2017, LOCO London Comedy Film Festival is the UK’s only international comedy film festival. This year, the exciting line-up features several London Calling shorts, as well as new films from Film London alumni.
From the very best in short docs and world cinema to a season of ground-breaking female directors, Film Hub London are supporting cinema projects of all shapes and sizes across the capital throughout 2017.