Tax Relief for Film
London is an attractive destination for all content production. The wealth of world-class talent and resources are underpinned by generous and user-friendly tax reliefs that can help you bring your project to the capital. Best of all:
- There is no cap on the amount of tax relief which can be claimed.
- All reliefs are capped at 80% of total production budget.
As of April 2015, a Film Production Company (FPC) can claim tax relief of up to 25% of qualifying expenditure for film projects that qualify as British. There is no cap over/under £20 million, as was the case before April 2015.
To qualify for film tax relief, projects must:
- Have a minimum 10% of core expenditure spent in the UK
- Be intended for theatrical release
- Have one FPC registered with Companies House and set up before principal photography begins
- The FPC must be responsible for all the filmmaking activity from pre-production through to completion
How your project can qualify as British
Your film can qualify as British by passing the cultural test, or as an official co-production.
The UK has 10 bi-lateral co-production treaties and is also a signatory to the European Convention.
Contact the Certification Unit at the BFI for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- RT @bfinetwork : Fancy watching a great short this afternoon? NETWORK funded (via #LDNCalling ), PREGNANT PAUSE, is 13 mins of sweet romcom t…
- More great #LDNCalling news! @BFInetwork -funded short @WrenBoysFilm will have its Australian Premiere opening… https://t.co/9jAMfVFvDH
- The Shack, a father's uplifting spiritual journey, screens @SEPicturehouse tonight, plus panel & performance presen… https://t.co/g4w4OwHILP