2017 London Calling short films announced
Date posted: 14.03.2017
We have unveiled our latest short film commissions, with a slate showcasing the talent, creativity and incredible storytelling powers of the capital’s filmmakers.
This year’s 21-strong selection include tense family dramas, off-kilter romance and the existential musings of a teenage vampire. The slate also includes two short-form documentaries (one exploring a helpline for gay farmers, the other infiltrating a clan of wargamers) and an animated title exploring its creator’s childhood memories.
The two film funds – London Calling and London Calling Plus – support, champion and upskill London-based filmmakers. The schemes combine production funding with practical training and expert mentoring from industry professionals. London Calling titles frequently screen – and win awards – at leading international festivals, with shorts from last year’s slate alone selected for Sundance, Berlin, Tribeca and LFF.
Adrian Wootton, Chief Executive of Film London and the British Film Commission, said: “The London Calling slate is always an exciting breath of fresh air. As a reflection of London’s incredibly diverse communities, it’s no surprise to see our city’s filmmakers are engaging with subject matters including immigration, sexuality and disability – serious issues which are explored through the prisms of romance, tenderness and the occasional foray into the surreal. We look forward to following the progress of these ambitious, talented filmmakers and seeing the fruits of their labours later in the year.”
The short film funds are aligned with our aims to ensure the city’s filmmaking talent pool is as diverse as the city itself. London Calling Plus specifically supports black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) talent, while more than half of this year’s teams feature female writers, directors and producers.
2017 London Calling Plus films
- The Bitter Sea: Writer/Director: Fateme Ahmadi, Producer: Emma Parsons
- The Field: Writer/Director: Sandhya Suri, Producer: Balthazar de Ganay
- Kara: Writer/Director: Deepa Keshvala, Producer: Gloria Bowman
- Landline: Director: Matt Houghton, Producers: Rupert Armistead, Alistair Payne-James
- Samira’s Party: Writer/Director: Bijan Sheibani, Producer: Joanna Thapa
- Support: Director: Christiana Ebohon-Green, Writer: Troy Hunter, Producer: Michael Mueller
2017 London Calling films
- Baby Gravy: Writer/director: Marley Morrison, Producer: Michelle Antoniades
- Blackout: Writer/Director: Serena Chloe Gardner, Producer: Nasreen Cullen
- Breathe: Writer/Director: Louise Marie Cooke, Producers: Patrick Campbell, Natalie Sutton
- F O G: Director: Shan Ogilvie, Writer: Benjamin Cleary Producers: Tom Wood, Serena Armitage
- Fighter: Director: Bugsy Steel, Writer: Guy Bolton, Producer: Tina Pawlik
- His Wake: Writer/Director: Jamie Noel, Producer: Mel Giles
- In Wonderland: Director: Christopher Haydon, Writer: Iona Firouzabadi, Producer: Daisy Cooper
- Maybe It’s Me: Writer/Director/Producer: Dimitris Simou
- Modern Props: Writer/Director: Ruaidhri Ryan, Producer: James Lowrey
- New Year: Writer/Director: Lauren Bensted, Producers: Ben Woodsmith, Jason Kirk
- Rabbits: Writer/Director: Alex Alexandrou, Producer: James Alexandrou
- To Wendy Who Kicked Me When I Said I Love You: Director: Dan Castella, Writer: Christian Sandino-Taylor, Producer: Lewis Partovi
- V: Director: Jimmy Dean, Writer/Producer: Ellie Gocher
- Wargames: Director: Jessica Bishopp, Producer: Hannah Eugénie Tookey
- Wren Boys: Writer/Director: Harry Lighton, Writer: John Fitzpatrick, Producer: Sorcha Bacon
London Calling and London Calling Plus are supported by the BFI NET.WORK, Creative Skillset and five London boroughs, along with industry partners Performance and Panalux.
Seven of the London Calling short films are receiving awards via the borough film funds. These are the Eastern Edge Film Fund (Redbridge and Waltham Forest), Southern Exposure Film Fund (Lambeth and Southwark) and Wandsworth Short Film Fund (Wandsworth).
- @diyspace4london on Wed 19th Dec @films4food are screening @hill_stories documentary 'More Earth Will Fall' + direc… https://t.co/PqJ24FWsbr
- Looking to move into Location Management? @ProductionGuild with @NIScreen , @UKScreenSkills and Film London, will gi… https://t.co/1cvpG0A6i0
- The nominees for the 75th Golden Globes Awards have been announced, and we are thrilled to see so many nominees tha… https://t.co/rVhJjjnS8i