Film London Microwave shortlist announced
Date posted: 30.11.2015
Following the success of our acclaimed Microwave titles Lilting, Shifty and Ill Manors, our hit training-through-production scheme is back with a fresh batch of 12 filmmaking teams, all armed with a great idea for a low-budget feature film.
The scheme is backed by the BFI and BBC Films, with its crucial Microschool training component supported by Creative Skillset through the Film Skills Fund.
The intensive training process begins today with Microschool, a week-long 'bootcamp' which provides an opportunity for each team to develop their skills, ideas and expertise.
During the Microschool training period and beyond, our shortlisted teams will be guided by a host of top-level industry mentors, including writer-director Lynne Ramsay (We Need to Talk About Kevin), director John Maclean (Slow West), and producers Jim Wilson (Under The Skin, 20,000 Days on Earth) and Tracy O'Riordan (The Selfish Giant).
This year's teams
Continuing our ambition to reflect the diversity of London itself, the Microwave team undertook a London-wide outreach programme to engage hundreds of aspiring filmmakers with masterclasses across the capital.
This year's shortlisted teams feature an exciting range of talent, including some familiar faces from our other talent development initiatives.
We are also proud that this year's shortlist contains a strong representation of BAME filmmakers, with over 50% of the teams who applied having a writer, director or producer from a BAME background.
The shortlisted projects and teams are:
- Amsterdam, Lisa Jacobs (writer), Tara Fitzgerald (director), Georgina French (producer)
- Barefaced, David Cornwall (writer), Chester Yang (director), Adebayo Awolaja (producer)
- Brutal, Ed Aldridge (writer), Scott Rawsthorne (director), Jon Shaikh (director), Amyra Bunyard (producer)
- Looted, Rene Pannevis (director), Simon Frank (writer), Jennifer Eriksson (producer), Jessie Mangum (co-producer)
- Nocturnal, Olivia Waring (writer), Shan Ng (director), Robert Williams (producer), Colin Day (producer)
- Real Boy, Liam Creighton (writer-director), Danny de Warren (producer)
- Running Out of Grime, Dwayne Gumbs (writer/director), Iain Simpson (director), Benedict Turnbull (producer), Alex Williams (producer), Harri Kamalanathan (producer)
- Samurai Sword, Lab Ky Mo (writer-director), Angélique Talio (producer)
- Sick(er), Lucy Brydon (writer-director), Dan Cleland (producer), Jeannette Sutton (producer)
- Treading Water, Lee Mattinson (writer), Samuel de Ceccatty (director), Manon Ardisson (producer), Chiara Ventura (producer)
- ULTRA, Matthew Hoad-Robson (writer-director), Rose Lewenstein (co-writer), Jacob Thomas (producer)
- White Night, Charlotte Wolf (writer), Geoff Bellhouse (director), Chris Hees (producer)
Show me the money
After Microschool, six projects will be taken forward for further development before two are ultimately commissioned in 2016 and awarded £100,000 in production funding.
Shortlisted filmmakers will receive up to £10,000 in development funding, and completed Microwave films will have access to an additional £25,000 towards distribution.
Want to know more?