Jarman Tour hits the road to take the best of artists' moving image across the UK
Date posted: 10.09.2014
John Akomfrah, Rachel Reupke and Iain Forsyth & Jane Pollard are among the celebrated artists speaking at galleries across the UK as part of the 2014 Film London Jarman Award tour.
Kicking off at FACT in Liverpool on Tuesday 23 September, the tour offers you the chance to see work by the ten artists up for this year's Jarman Award. Taking in 10 galleries across the country from Eastbourne to Glasgow, the tour is bigger and better than ever, with many venues hosting artist Q&As.
The recipient of the Jarman Award will be announced at a special ceremony at London's Whitechapel Gallery on 8 December. If you go and see the work use #MyJarmanWinner to let us know which artist you think deserves the prize.
Selecting the shortlist
Image: Marvin Gaye Chetwynd, The Green Room, Nottingham Contemporary, 2014. Copyright the artist, courtesy Sadie Coles HQ, London. Photo: San Matthams.
Celebrating the best in contemporary artists' moving image, the Jarman Award selection panel, has chosen a shortlist that reflects contemporary moving image practice. The panel includes:
- Iwona Blazwick OBE, Director of Whitechapel Gallery
- John Hay, Commissioning Editor for Arts at Channel 4
- Steven Cairns, Associate Curator of Artists' Film & Moving Image at the ICA
- Beatrice Gibson, artist
- John Maybury, filmmaker
Inspired by artist Derek Jarman's spirit of risk-taking, the Jarman Award was launched in 2008 giving recognition and support to artists working with the moving image and whose work resists conventional definition, encompassing innovation and excellence.
This year also sees a special exhibition of the work of 2013 Jarman Award winner John Smith at The Gallery (26 November-6 January) in Newcastle-upon-Tyne.
The nominated artists and their films
Image: Redmond Entwistle, Walk-Through, 2012. Courtesy of the artist.
Split into two parts, the touring programme presents single-screen works and provides a comprehensive survey of moving image art today.
- Sebastian Buerkner, Weresheglanspertheere (2014), 5 min 7 sec
- Rachel Reupke, Wine & Spirits (2013), 19 min 5 sec
- Steven Claydon, Mimicry Systems (2013), 3 min 30 sec
- Redmond Entwistle, Walk-Through (2012), 18 min 19 sec
- Laura Buckley, The Magic Know-How (2013), 9 min 22 sec
Image: Laura Buckley, The Magic Know-How, 2013. Courtesy of the artist.
- Stephen Sutcliffe, Plum (2012), 4 min 24 sec
- John Akomfrah, Peripeteia (2012), 11 min 15 sec
- Marvin Gaye Chetwynd, The Caves Film excerpt from The Green Room (2014), 10 min 58 sec
- Iain Forsyth & Jane Pollard, 20,000 Days on Earth (2014), 97 min, excerpt 8 min18 sec
- Ursula Mayer, Medea (2013), 12 min
Ursula Mayer, Medea, 2013. Courtesy of the artist.
The tour culminates in a weekend of screenings, Q&As and performances at the Whitechapel Gallery on 6 & 7 December. Before that, it tours to:
FACT, Liverpool+ Q&A Rachel Reupke
Tuesday 23 September, 6:30 pm
Free, booking essential
Watershed, Bristol + Q&A with Laura Buckley
Tuesday 30 September, 5:30 pm
Tickets: £5.50 full / £4.00 concessions
Chapter, Cardiff + Q&A with Iain Forsyth and Jane Pollard
Wednesday 8 October, 8:00 pm
Tickets: £7.90 full adult price / £7.20 advance booking and £5.80 concession / £5.10 advance
Towner, Eastbourne + Q&A with John Akomfrah
Sunday 2 November, 2pm, Tickets: £6 / £5 concessions
Exhibition - 11 October - 2 November, 10 am - 6pm, Free
CCA, Glasgow + Q&A with Stephen Sutcliffe
Thursday 16 October, 6:30 pm
Free, booking essential
Cornerhouse, Manchester + Q&A with Redmond Entwistle
Tuesday 28 October, 6 pm
Tickets: Full £8.00 / Concs £6.00, Cornerhouse Members £6.50 / £4.50
Turner Contemporary, Margate
Exhibition - Saturday and Sunday 22-23 November, 10 am - 4pm
Nottingham Contemporary + Q&A with Ursula Mayer
Thursday 20 November, 6:30pm
Free, booking essential
CIRCA Projects, The Northern Charter, Newcastle + Q&A with Steven Claydon
Thursday 27 November, 6:30 pm
Tickets: Tickets: £4.50/£3 concessions (tickets include entry to both events)
The Gallery, Tyneside Cinema, Newcastle
27 November - 6 January, 10 am-5 pm (Sundays 11 am - 5 pm)
Preview 26 November, 7.30-9.00pm
Exhibition of the work of John Smith, 2013 Jarman Award Winner
Curated by Elisabetta Fabrizi, Tyneside Cinema, and FLAMIN (Film London Artists' Moving Image Network)
Whitechapel Gallery + screenings, talks and performances with all artists
Saturday 6 & Sunday 7 December, 11:15 am - 5: 45 pm
Full programme - TBC
Tickets: £5 per each day
Don't forget to let us know your favourite, use #MyJarmanWinner.
The Film London Jarman Award is presented in partnership with Channel 4 and in association with the Whitechapel Gallery. The touring programme is supported by VET post production and training.
- Get to Ealing this week for @PitshangerPics Centenary Film Festival, with a film for each decade 1916-2016! Music.https://t.co/E7OfAYjouo
- Run to see the gripping 1984 Olympic race doc The Fall at @picturehouses central this Weds https://t.co/6YP4fv6ykz https://t.co/VcXL9G6qKX
- In case you missed it: @berlinale Talents is open for applications! https://t.co/WFbk1UDnEp #BerlinaleTalents https://t.co/PrQ46EVHmy