Picture Box Youth Cinema’s Latin American Film Festival 2008
Date posted: 05.12.2008
The Latin American Film Festival is almost upon us! The two day extravaganza, run by Picture Box Youth Cinema, is being held on 13 and 14 December. This year it takes place at the 2InSpire community centre in Southwark (1a Wendover, Thurlow Street, SE17).
With activities aimed at all ages, Picture Box Youth Cinema continues its commitment in celebrating local cultures - allowing free access to film and cinema,as well as a variety of other events.
Workshops for young people from the local area (aged 8-16 years old) will run during the day on Saturday and Sunday, between 12.30 and 3.30pm. Participants will have the opportunity to make short, edit-in-camera films about their lives, exploring the identity of young people on film.
In the afternoon and early evening there will be stalls serving Latin foods and performers from the Latin American Multi-cultural Group dancing, rapping and setting the tone of the evening.
Films made earlier in the day will be screened, along with other shorts and features made by Latin American film-makers, or about Latin American culture and experience.
Highlights of the festival include:
Saturday 13 December
- 6pm, Little Juan Under the Orange Tree, directed by Juan Carlos Villamizar (Colombia)
- 6.15pm, Venus , directed by Jose Alvarez (Mexico)
- 6.45pm, Maria’s Life, directed by Marcio Ramos
- 7pm, main feature Super Amigos, directed by Arturo Perez Torres (Mexico City) - a documentary about super heroes fighting for social justice and human rights
Sunday 14 December
- 6.30pm, Q&A session with Argentinean actor Antonio Daer
- 6.50pm, In The Dog House - a short film made by local young people
- 7pm, Paradise Café, directed by Alonso Ruizplazos (Mexico)
- 7.15pm, This is not a fly, directed by Carlos Frahia (Brazil/UK)
- 7.30pm, Rojo Red, directed by Juan Manuel Betancourt (Colombia)
- 7.50pm, Lucia, directed by Niles Atallah, Joaquin Cocina, Cristobel Leon (Chile)
- 8pm, 1st Communion, directed by Daniel Eduvijes Carrera (Mexico)
- 8.15pm, Watching It Rain, directed by Elisa Miller (Mexico)
All events are free. Simply turn up at the allotted times to enjoy the Latino entertainment!
For further information contact Emma Passmore, Centre Manager at 2InSpire, on 020 7703 4309 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
This project is supported by Film London's Audience Development Fund.