Tax Relief for Film
London is an attractive destination for all content production. The wealth of world-class talent and resources are underpinned by generous and user-friendly tax reliefs that can help you bring your project to the capital. Best of all:
- There is no cap on the amount of tax relief which can be claimed.
- All reliefs are capped at 80% of total production budget.
As of April 2015, a Film Production Company (FPC) can claim tax relief of up to 25% of qualifying expenditure for film projects that qualify as British. There is no cap over/under £20 million, as was the case before April 2015.
To qualify for film tax relief, projects must:
- Have a minimum 10% of core expenditure spent in the UK
- Be intended for theatrical release
- Have one FPC registered with Companies House and set up before principal photography begins
- The FPC must be responsible for all the filmmaking activity from pre-production through to completion
How your project can qualify as British
Your film can qualify as British by passing the cultural test, or as an official co-production.
The UK has 10 bi-lateral co-production treaties and is also a signatory to the European Convention.
Contact the Certification Unit at the BFI for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last week, Film London attended FOCUS 2019, The Meeting Place for International Production, to exhibit, host and participate in a variety of panels across film, TV and games under this year’s over-arching theme “Forces of Change – What’s next?”
Throughout December, London welcomes the final instalment in a sci-fi saga, a feline filled musical and a vampire… Read all about the productions filming in the capital as well as what will be on our screens this month.