Tax Relief for Film
London is an attractive destination for all content production. The wealth of world-class talent and resources are underpinned by generous and user-friendly tax reliefs that can help you bring your project to the capital. Best of all:
- There is no cap on the amount of tax relief which can be claimed.
- All reliefs are capped at 80% of total production budget.
As of April 2015, a Film Production Company (FPC) can claim tax relief of up to 25% of qualifying expenditure for film projects that qualify as British. There is no cap over/under £20 million, as was the case before April 2015.
To qualify for film tax relief, projects must:
- Have a minimum 10% of core expenditure spent in the UK
- Be intended for theatrical release
- Have one FPC registered with Companies House and set up before principal photography begins
- The FPC must be responsible for all the filmmaking activity from pre-production through to completion
How your project can qualify as British
Your film can qualify as British by passing the cultural test, or as an official co-production.
The UK has 10 bi-lateral co-production treaties and is also a signatory to the European Convention.
Contact the Certification Unit at the BFI for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
On screen this month; a special agent chase through the capital, the return of a teen assassin and a new London-centric BBC drama series! Read all about the productions filmed in and around the capital, and where to watch them on demand.
July will see some of London’s cinemas begin to open their doors again safely as lockdown restrictions start to ease, allowing film lovers to watch their favourite movies on the big screen after months of closure.