Tax Relief for Film
London is an attractive destination for all content production. The wealth of world-class talent and resources are underpinned by generous and user-friendly tax reliefs that can help you bring your project to the capital. Best of all:
- There is no cap on the amount of tax relief which can be claimed.
- All reliefs are capped at 80% of total production budget.
As of April 2015, a Film Production Company (FPC) can claim tax relief of up to 25% of qualifying expenditure for film projects that qualify as British. There is no cap over/under £20 million, as was the case before April 2015.
To qualify for film tax relief, projects must:
- Have a minimum 10% of core expenditure spent in the UK
- Be intended for theatrical release
- Have one FPC registered with Companies House and set up before principal photography begins
- The FPC must be responsible for all the filmmaking activity from pre-production through to completion
How your project can qualify as British
Your film can qualify as British by passing the cultural test, or as an official co-production.
The UK has 10 bi-lateral co-production treaties and is also a signatory to the European Convention.
Contact the Certification Unit at the BFI for more information: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Proud to be sponsoring the UK film reception at #Cannes2017 and celebrating the capital's ongoing success! https://t.co/5gmyE5pMbo
- See delightfully quirky comedy-drama and @koreanfilmfest teaser screening Queen of Walking, tonight @RegentStCinema … https://t.co/Ae1Sz2AwQf
- RT @PerformanceIns : Pleased to announce we'll be continuing our partnership with @Film_London for another 3 years!! #filmmakers https://t.…
This year our Production Finance Market – the UK’s only film finance market – takes place from 9-11 October and is now open for applications. Find out more about PFM's new international partners and the Film London Micro Market.
Timely explorations of motherhood, matriarchy, gender identity and the modern LGBTQ experience. Discover the two new titles from London-based filmmakers which have been commissioned for Microwave, our award-winning feature film scheme.