Make Sure It's Legal
- Tax Reliefs
Plan Your Shoot
- Search the Directory
- Find a Location
- Get Permission
- Make Sure It's Legal
- Green Screen
- Advice for International Crews
- Read the Code of Practice
- London Filming Partnership
There are different rules surrounding shooting buildings, public places, objects, people, children and animals. But whatever or whoever you're filming, you need to make sure it is legal.
There are several rights which apply to the use of a person’s image which filmmakers should consider, particularly when filming in the street within London or the UK. Read our guide to find out more about privacy, data protection, defamation, consent and practical tips for filmmakers.
There are various legal issues to consider when filming buildings in London and the UK. Read our guide to find out about trademarks and logos, defamation, passing off, light displays, iconic buildings, and practical tips for filmmakers shooting buildings.
All UK productions need Public Liability Insurance in order to receive permission to film or carry out commercial photography, which should be obtained in the earliest stages of pre-production. Find out what you will need and check our list of insurance company contacts.
Child Performance Licences
If you are filming or working with children of compulsory school age it is important that you check whether the actor will require a Child Performance Licence.
Read the Film London Code of Practice and check the relevant obligations closely to ensure that you operate within the law.
Minimum Wage Regulations
If you intend to employ crew, volunteers, unpaid workers or offer work experience opportunities, ensure that you are familiar with the National Minimum Wage regulations and National Living Wage rates.
- #Playback exhibition at @KingstonUni hosts a free screening of London-made shorts + Q&A with young filmmakers tmrw:… https://t.co/W8jmFjwUjt
- RT @SecretGardenPic : Super excited to say Blackout won Best Short Film & Supporting Performance in a Short @SouthamptonFilm chuffed! 🎥#Film…
- See A Scanner Darkly in all its rotoscoped glory @GenesisCinema this Sunday + Q&A with its composer @grahamreynolds … https://t.co/tlrvmFYjWP
We are excited to announce the launch of a new scheme we are running with Apulia Film Commission, designed for co-production-ready filmmakers eager to hone their skills, learn from industry experts and pitch their ideas to leading international financiers.