Royal Hospital Chelsea
- Tax Reliefs
Plan Your Shoot
- Search the Directory
- Find a Location
- Get Permission
- Make Sure It's Legal
- Green Screen
- Advice for International Crews
- Read the Code of Practice
- London Filming Partnership
Founded in 1682 by King Charles II and designed by Sir Christopher Wren, the Royal Hospital Chelsea is a retirement and nursing home for veterans of the British Army. Located on a 66-acre site, on the bank of the Thames, the Grade I listed building combines a number of beautiful and historic spaces offering fabulous filming opportunities, both inside and out.
The most awe-inspiring of these spaces are The Great Hall and Wren Chapel. Connected by a stone corridor and staircases, both spaces are hugely grand, with wood panelled walls and checkerboard floor.
The elegant Council Camber and Ante Room of the State Apartments offer splendid period features, but perhaps the most exciting opportunity for productions is provided by the Wren House; with magnificent views across the gardens, the attractive rooms of this recently refurbished house offer an almost blank canvas for productions who are invited to dress or adapt the space to their heart’s content.
In addition to offering plenty of unit base opportunities, the grounds include the elegant Figure Court, bordered by the Hall and State Apartments, the Ranelagh Gardens, a beautiful and secluded hidden gem, and the extensive lawns which have been used for the world-famous RHS Chelsea Flower Show since 1912.
Understandably attractive to period productions, Downton Abbey and Churchill at War have filmed at the Royal Hospital Chelsea. It has featured in numerous factual and light entertainment programmes such as The One Show, Antiques Roadshow and Made in Chelsea as well as features Diana and Stormbreaker and TV drama The Split. It has even appeared as the home of the famous meerkat Aleksandr in a Compare the Market advert.
Find out more information on filming opportunities at Royal Hospital Chelsea
- Showing as part of the @koreanfilmfest teaser screenings programme, FENGSHUI is an action-packed historical epic th… https://t.co/iJpzYyvGSv
- Head to @DeptfordCinema for a special screening of THE DUKE OF BURGUNDY, Peter Strickland’s visually stunning study… https://t.co/cqmzPezK8T
- This August Film London CEO @aojwFL_BFC will deliver a series of acclaimed Illustrated Film Talks at #MIFF2019 on m… https://t.co/9ZMvIoEfvW