What Cultivate covers
The only course of its kind, Cultivate is a UK-wide training programme for exhibitors looking to inspire the next generation of cinema-goers.
Cultivate offers presentations and discussions around a broad range of topics. Learn how to:
- Navigate the primary and secondary curriculum
- Inspire young people
- Programme suitable films
- Develop study guides
- Be safe and compliant
- Engage a range of audiences, stakeholders and partners
It also offers attendees from across the country the rare opportunity to share best practice, ask each other questions and generate ideas.
Why it's important
A comprehensive film education programme extends a venue or festival's reach, encourages community links and strengthens industry infrastructure.
Aimed at Film Education Officers and Audience Development Officers as well as Festival Programmers and Coordinators who have responsibility for programming screenings and film education events, Cultivate:
- Provides comprehensive training on developing film education programmes for cinemas, film festivals and rural cinema initiatives
- Gives participants the skills and confidence to facilitate sessions with young people, and the tools to measure their success
- Demonstrates how a film education programme can contribute to the development of a broad range of audiences for venues and festivals
- Encourages growth in the film education sector
- Helps participants develop career progression routes and formal training opportunities in the sector
- Recognises the role film educators play in specialised film exhibition
"My experience of Cultivate has been incredible. There's an awful lot of information crammed into a very entertaining three-day programme. I deliver my festival on a voluntary basis so it's nice to feel supported in a way, meeting all these people that encounter the same issues and get to reflect in the same way."
Chris Nunn, Screen Test Festival Director, 2013 Cultivate Participant
"Building film education as a profession with standards and good practice is something that Film London are really well placed to do and it provides the ideal forum for the organisation I work for to deliver targeted audience development training in a film context."
Helen Ball, The Audience Agency, 2012 Cultivate tutor
Cultivate: Inspiring Future Audiences is presented by Film London and supported by Creative Skillset. Additional support from Film Hub London, managed by Film London. Proud to be a partner of the BFI Film Audience Network, funded by the National Lottery.
- Missed Creed in the cinemas? Grab your chance to see it FREE at Stratford Library tomorrow: https://t.co/RlSmDFmn3P https://t.co/k6Av0MuWfZ
- Congrats to the eight Film London alumni among the @BFI Vision Award recipients! Read more: https://t.co/deyX5qZjyq https://t.co/vmVhDmeKhc
- London-based artist filmmakers! Get funding for development and production from @FL_FLAMIN : https://t.co/fwFIxnc7iy https://t.co/F2gkKUfipI
We are pleased to announce an exciting new screen tourism conference for the UK, a special one-day event being held in London this November. It will offer expert analysis and insight from top industry speakers and panellists on screen tourism.
The BFI Vision Awards, which provide vital support to the next generation of diverse and ambitious film producers, has announced the list of its 2016-18 recipients, and we’re delighted to see some Film London-backed talent making the grade.