What Cultivate covers
The only course of its kind, Cultivate is a UK-wide training programme for exhibitors looking to inspire the next generation of cinema-goers.
Cultivate offers presentations and discussions around a broad range of topics. Learn how to:
- Navigate the primary and secondary curriculum
- Inspire young people
- Programme suitable films
- Develop study guides
- Be safe and compliant
- Engage a range of audiences, stakeholders and partners
It also offers attendees from across the country the rare opportunity to share best practice, ask each other questions and generate ideas.
Why it's important
A comprehensive film education programme extends a venue or festival's reach, encourages community links and strengthens industry infrastructure.
Aimed at Film Education Officers and Audience Development Officers as well as Festival Programmers and Coordinators who have responsibility for programming screenings and film education events, Cultivate:
- Provides comprehensive training on developing film education programmes for cinemas, film festivals and rural cinema initiatives
- Gives participants the skills and confidence to facilitate sessions with young people, and the tools to measure their success
- Demonstrates how a film education programme can contribute to the development of a broad range of audiences for venues and festivals
- Encourages growth in the film education sector
- Helps participants develop career progression routes and formal training opportunities in the sector
- Recognises the role film educators play in specialised film exhibition
"My experience of Cultivate has been incredible. There's an awful lot of information crammed into a very entertaining three-day programme. I deliver my festival on a voluntary basis so it's nice to feel supported in a way, meeting all these people that encounter the same issues and get to reflect in the same way."
Chris Nunn, Screen Test Festival Director, 2013 Cultivate Participant
"Building film education as a profession with standards and good practice is something that Film London are really well placed to do and it provides the ideal forum for the organisation I work for to deliver targeted audience development training in a film context."
Helen Ball, The Audience Agency, 2012 Cultivate tutor
Cultivate: Inspiring Future Audiences is presented by Film London and supported by Creative Skillset. Additional support from Film Hub London, managed by Film London. Proud to be a partner of the BFI Film Audience Network, funded by the National Lottery.
- Want to make a short film with #LDNCalling ? We'll be @HackneyPH on Thursday to answer your questions. Sign up now!… https://t.co/8Eu2owcLkE
- Londoners! @BarbicanCentre wants to know which films shook your world (and why) for an exciting new season:… https://t.co/y0JNRyry6D
- We can't wait 'til #LFF ! Here's a look at what we've got in store for this year's festival, including #PFM2016 :… https://t.co/QAG4KSCYJN
Danny Perkins, UK CEO of STUDIOCANAL, will deliver this year’s keynote address at the 10th annual Production Finance Market (PFM) as we continue our full suite of industry activity for 60th edition of the BFI London Film Festival.
London Filming Partnership and Locations Crew Diary members recently attended a networking event at the Imperial War Museum, also getting a glimpse of the Real to Reel war movies exhibition and exploring the filming possibilities of this unique Premiere Location.