What Cultivate covers
The only course of its kind, Cultivate is a UK-wide training programme for exhibitors looking to inspire the next generation of cinema-goers.
Cultivate offers presentations and discussions around a broad range of topics. Learn how to:
- Navigate the primary and secondary curriculum
- Inspire young people
- Programme suitable films
- Develop study guides
- Be safe and compliant
- Engage a range of audiences, stakeholders and partners
It also offers attendees from across the country the rare opportunity to share best practice, ask each other questions and generate ideas.
The 4th edition of Cultivate will take place 6 - 8 July 2016 and will be made up of two strands.
The Intermediate strand will take place on Wednesday 6 and Thursday 7 July, and is aimed at those with up to two years experience in film education in a supporting role.
The Advanced strand will take place on Thursday 7 and Friday 8 July and is aimed at those with two or more years of experience in film education in a senior or leading role.
The price of the training course is £200. We have a certain amount of money available for bursaries, you can download the bursary application form below.
Deadline for applications: Monday 6 June.
Please also complete the forms below and email them to email@example.com.
Why it's important
A comprehensive film education programme extends a venue or festival's reach, encourages community links and strengthens industry infrastructure.
Aimed at Film Education Officers and Audience Development Officers as well as Festival Programmers and Coordinators who have responsibility for programming screenings and film education events, Cultivate:
- Provides comprehensive training on developing film education programmes for cinemas, film festivals and rural cinema initiatives
- Gives participants the skills and confidence to facilitate sessions with young people, and the tools to measure their success
- Demonstrates how a film education programme can contribute to the development of a broad range of audiences for venues and festivals
- Encourages growth in the film education sector
- Helps participants develop career progression routes and formal training opportunities in the sector
- Recognises the role film educators play in specialised film exhibition
"My experience of Cultivate has been incredible. There's an awful lot of information crammed into a very entertaining three-day programme. I deliver my festival on a voluntary basis so it's nice to feel supported in a way, meeting all these people that encounter the same issues and get to reflect in the same way."
Chris Nunn, Screen Test Festival Director, 2013 Cultivate Participant
"Building film education as a profession with standards and good practice is something that Film London are really well placed to do and it provides the ideal forum for the organisation I work for to deliver targeted audience development training in a film context."
Helen Ball, The Audience Agency, 2012 Cultivate tutor
Cultivate: Inspiring Future Audiences is presented by Film London and supported by Creative Skillset. Additional support from Film Hub London, managed by Film London. Proud to be a partner of the BFI Film Audience Network, funded by the National Lottery.
- Discover the moving true story of ISIS victim James Foley @RichMixLondon on Weds: https://t.co/EIsDlnwAFY #EEFF2016 https://t.co/YtcHVPlqgQ
- RT @DeptfordCinema : Tonight 7pm, get ready for more scintillating Shakespeare with Henry V! Tickets available: https://t.co/PrN1Aioy3n http…
- Grab your chance to see Crystal Bear winner @BalconyShort , this Friday @EastEndFilmFest : https://t.co/2Zmw5wTKyA https://t.co/vnetTSCVD6
We are pleased to announce Vimeo’s Jordan McGarry as our new Head of Talent Development and Production. Jordan will oversee our feature filmmaking initiative Microwave and short film funds including London Calling and London Calling Plus, alongside our other innovative filmmaker training initiatives.