Chiswick House and Gardens
Chiswick House, built between 1726 and 1728, is one of the earliest and most important neo-Palladian villas in England.
The house and grounds were created by two Georgian trend setters, the architect and designer William Kent and his friend and patron Lord Burlington, the third Earl. Influenced by their travels on the Grand Tour, they rejected the showy, Baroque style, fashionable in England, in favour of a simpler, symmetrical design based on the classical architecture of Italy.
This interiors of the villa however, are much more opulent in their design. The Blue Velvet room is the most richly decorated room in the house. The walls are hung with hand-woven blue silk velvet and the ceiling was painted by William Kent in imitation of mosaic.
The Upper Tribunal, also known as the Domed Saloon, is the heart of Chiswick House and its most spectacular space. It was the first room that visitors entered via the portico on formal occasions and was the focal point for parties and receptions held in the House.
The domed roof soars high above the visitor’s head, inspiring a sense of awe and grandeur that is true to the architecture of ancient Rome.
The birthplace of the English Landscape Garden, Chiswick House Grounds contain areas of great historical interest. Displaying the work of the famous garden designers Kent, Bridgeman and Samuel Lappidge. The grounds include, amongst other things; an Ionic Temple, a waterfall, a lake, an ornamental bridge and a large, well-established wilderness area.