Film London have teamed up with Ukie to present Games London, a new initiative aiming to make London the world's games capital and promote the UK's wider games sector.
Backed by a £1.2 million investment from the Mayor of London, the project will deliver:
- An annual London Games Festival celebrating the industry's huge cultural and economic contribution to London and the UK
- An international networking event to attract investment to the UK, based on Film London's Production Finance Market
- Inbound and outbound trade missions to promote Video Games Tax Relief and the sector overseas
- A range of training and skills initiatives
The plan was announced via a virtual press conference featuring the Mayor of London, Boris Johnson, designed as a character in one of the biggest video games in the world, Minecraft.
The project will launch with a new annual event, the London Games Festival, running from 1-10 April 2016. The festival will include 15 official events across 10 different locations, as well as a fringe festival with an array of diverse and alternative events.
The festival is at the heart of a three-year Games London programme, which is expected to raise £35million in new revenue for our games and interactive entertainment businesses, adding nearly £10million to the London economy.
The programme will also help London's games companies capitalise on the Video Games Tax Relief, launched in 2014, and aims to replicate the successes of the tax reliefs for film and high-end television.
- RT @BFI : Watch this exclusive clip: Drama, dance and death innovatively collide in @GRParris life-affirming debut feature @marifeaturefilm …
- London's Festival of Contemporary Arab Culture @shubbakfestival kicks off on July 3rd @barbicancentre with a select… https://t.co/5Jx421GCFB
- RT @BechdelTestFest : Happy SUPPORT THE GIRLS preview day! Join us at @CentralPictureH from 6.30pm for one of our favourite films of 2019, p…
UPstream is the first event of its type providing a unique opportunity for Intellectual Property (IP) holders to present their content top Film and TV Drama producers, distributors, agents, and other potential buyers.